If you consider Aspen, Colorado, chances are you’ll consider ritzy resorts and decadent events, or world-class snowboarding. But it surely’s additionally surrounded by a few of North America’s most lovely wilderness and is a pure basecamp for some unbelievable climbing, biking, fishing, snowboarding, and even paragliding—absolutely anything you are able to do outdoor. Whereas Aspen is a 4-season vacation spot, there’s tons of issues to do in Aspen in summer season, and beneath we share our favorites!
Study one of the best issues to do in Aspen in summer season together with climbing, biking, tenting & lodging, and restaurant suggestions.
Vital Reminder: Because it goes in the entire locations we share, please apply good path etiquette and bear in mind to Depart No Hint. This implies packing out all your rubbish (together with rest room paper), being respectful to others on busy trails, and following the established guidelines.
Aspen Summer season Mountaineering
Aspen is nestled within the Roaring Fork Valley which presents a system of trails for each hiker from newbie to skilled. With fields of wildflowers, mountain vistas, and dense forests, climbing is without doubt one of the greatest issues to do in Aspen in the summertime. Listed below are a few of our favourite trails:
West Maroon Cross
This hike begins beneath the Maroon Bells at Maroon Lake, one of the vital photographed spots within the nation, and the primary few miles are about as busy as you’d count on. However when you move the picnicking households at Crater Lake, the path turns into infinitely much less crowded. It’s six and a half miles one-way to West Maroon Cross, however you’ll be able to flip round everytime you like (or you’ll be able to maintain going, descend the opposite aspect of the move, and stroll all the way in which to Crested Butte!). The views are unbeatable the entire approach!
You’ll must drive a number of miles down valley to get to the trailhead, however Triangle Peak is a lesser-known hike that reaps huge rewards in a brief distance. You hike up a jeep street for 2 and a half miles to the summit of Triangle Peak, and from there you’ve a view of the whole Roaring Fork Valley, the entire Elk Mountain Vary, and nearly all of Aspen-Snowmass’s 4 ski areas.
You’ll be able to comply with the Ute Path all the way in which to the highest of Aspen Mountain. Whereas it’s steep at first, it’s a lot much less busy than the favored street up the face of the ski hill. For those who’re completely exhausted if you get to the highest, you’ll be able to take the gondola again all the way down to city.
Aspen Summer season Biking
Aspen has biking choices for everyone. From lung-busting street rides to rollercoaster single observe, and even household cruiser rides – it’s all there and the most effective issues to do in Aspen in the summertime!
A few Aspen street bike classics are Independence Cross, a lung-busting climb to 12,065 ft above sea degree, and Maroon Creek Highway, a relatively flat (however in actuality, regular uphill) experience to the long-lasting Maroon Bells.
For those who’ve bought children, or don’t fancy driving with visitors, cruise down the valley on the Rio Grande Path, a former railroad observe turned multi-use pathway that stretches 40-plus miles all the way in which to Glenwood Springs alongside the Roaring Fork River. A mid-morning experience to Woody Creek Tavern for lunch is hard to beat; it’s about 10 miles from Aspen, simply lengthy sufficient to earn that burger and brew.
Head up the face of Aspen Mountain on the forest service street and revel in single-track on the way in which down, or take one of many trails throughout city, above the outdated Smuggler Mine. Really feel like getting out of city a bit extra? Close by Snowmass Mountain has extra singletrack, downhill, and enduro driving than your legs may ever deal with. For a dynamite single-track shuttle, take the free bus from Aspen to Snowmass Village, then mix the Rim Path, simply west of Snowmass Village with the model new single observe of Sky Mountain Park, chopping again to Aspen on the hillsides above Aspen airport.
Aspen Summer season Fishing
There could also be no higher place on earth for fly fishing. The Roaring Fork River, a gold-medal fishing river, flows proper by means of city. Fifteen minutes down the valley, it’s joined by the Fryingpan River, one other gold-medal river. Fifteen minutes previous there, the Crystal River joins the get together—one other world-class fly fishing river. You’ll be able to rent a information to take you to their favourite secret spots, or you’ll be able to simply seize your rod and head on the market—it’s arduous to go mistaken on this space!
Simply be sure to’re not venturing onto non-public property and choose up a Colorado fishing license! You’ll be able to snag one on-line, from Metropolis Market within the middle of city, or within the fly outlets in Aspen, Basalt, or Carbondale.
Greatest Aspen Eating places
Aspen is a foodie city with tons of connoisseur choices. For those who’re on the lookout for a extra informal spot to seize a go-to meal or a chew after a protracted day on the paths, listed below are a few of our suggestions:
- Zane’s Tavern: A sports activities bar that’s fashionable with locals, particularly when the Denver Broncos are taking part in. The meals is typical pub grub, but it surely’s stable and cheap. And you may’t go mistaken with something fried, proper?
- Huge Wrap: It is a cash-only informal joint that serves tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and extra.
- Jour de Fete: the French title may sound fancy, however it is a no-frills deli with nice sandwiches and salads.
- Bangkok Comfortable Bowl: Yummy Thai meals that you may eat in or take out.
- Woody Creek Tavern: That is the famed hangout spot of the late Hunter S. Thompson. A couple of 20-minute stroll out of city (or 10 minutes by bike), they serve consolation bar meals and have an eclectic environment.
Different Issues To Do In Aspen in Summer season
Have extra time to fill throughout your journey? Listed below are a few of our different favourite summer season actions in Aspen:
- Hike or take the gondola up Aspen Mountain for a free recreation of frisbee golf. There’s a disc golf course proper on the high of the ski space. Discs can be found at 4 Mountain Sports activities to hire or be happy to deliver your personal. If you’re in Snowmass, there’s a course on the mountain there as effectively.
- Tube or paddleboard by means of Northstar Nature Protect. The present is mild, the water is shallow (and chilly!), and there’s no higher approach to spend a summer season afternoon.
- Go for the coldest swim of your life at The Grottos. These snowmelt-fed swimming pools and waterfalls east of city seem like a scene from an enchanted fairy story, however the water temperature feels extra like a wintry nightmare. For those who resolve to leap in, be ready for the icy water to take your breath away—actually.
- Catch some music: The Aspen Music Festival takes place each summer season, all summer season, and college students will be discovered giving free performances on road corners round city. Additionally, take a look at the dwell music calendar on the Stomach Up.
Aspen Tenting & Lodging Choices
Aspen is a well-liked summer season vacation spot – you should definitely guide your tenting or lodging prematurely! Listed below are a number of ideas for campgrounds and resorts:
- Tenting is restricted in and round Aspen; the closest campsite is Tough Campground eight miles exterior of city towards Independence Cross. You can even camp close to the long-lasting Maroon Bells at Silver Queen Campground. Each of those refill shortly, so make reservations prematurely if attainable. Try The Dyrt app for extra Aspen tenting suggestions.
- Aspen finances resorts: Mountain Chalet, Tyrolean Lodge, and Annabelle Inn all have nice areas with out the worth tag of their luxurious neighbors.
- If you wish to step it up just a little, the Limelight Resort, Resort Aspen, and The Gant are all nice locations to remain throughout the summer season in Aspen.
Have you ever ever visited Aspen? Are we lacking any of one of the best issues to do in Aspen in summer season? Tell us within the feedback beneath!